par- 10 mars 2016
Family Name : MALAESCU
First Name : Bogdan
Email : malaescu in2p3.fr
Activity : ATLAS
Address : Laboratoire de Physique Nucléaire et des Hautes Énergies (LPNHE), Barre 12/22,
4 place Jussieu,75005 Paris cedex 05
Tél. +33 (0)1 44 27 91 30
- 2007-2010 : PhD thesis « Precise measurements of the cross sections e+ e- — > hadrons : tests of the Standard Model and applications in QCD » in the BABAR group of « Laboratoire de l’Accélérateur Linéaire », University Paris 11, Orsay, France, supervised by Michel Davier and Sebastien Déscotes-Génon
- 2006-2007 : Master « Concepts Fondamentaux de la Physique », Option of Theoretical Physics – ENS Paris, Ecole Polytechnique, Univesity Paris 6 and University Paris 11, ENS Cachan – France, degree obtained with mention « Good »
- 2003-2007 : Engineer studies at Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France – obtained engineer and master degree
- 2001-2003 : Computer science studies at Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Romania
- October 2012 – today : CR2 at CNRS (staff)
- October 2010 – September 2012 : fellow in the ATLAS group at CERN
- Major Collaborations
- 2010 – today : member of the ATLAS collaboration
- 2007 – today : member of the BABAR collaboration
- Main responsibilities in the ATLAS experiment
- October 2014 – today : co-convener of the « Statistics Forum »
- April 2014 – March 2015 : co-convener of the sub-group « Jets & photons »
- October 2012 – September 2013 : co-convener of the sub-group « Jet energy scale and jet energy resolution »
TEACHING AND SUPERVISION EXPERIENCE
- October 2012 – today : collaboration with numerous PhD students and PostDocs working on jet calibration and resolution studies, as well as jet and photon physics studies, in the context of my convenership tasks in ATLAS.
- November 2013 – today : collaboration with Dimitris VAROUCHAS, PostDoc working mainly on the differential ttbar cross-section measurement and on the jet energy calibration and resolution, LPNHE, CNRS, France
- March – June 2015 : supervisor for the internship of Mathis CARISTAN, Master 2 student, working on the fiducial ttbar cross-section measurement, LPNHE, CNRS, France
- October 2012 – September 2014 : co-supervisor of Guillaume LEFEBVRE, PhD student working on the jet energy calibration and resolution, and the measurement of the ttbar cross-section, CERN-THESIS-2014-234, LPNHE, CNRS, France
- April-June 2013 : supervisor for the internship of Oleh KIVERNYK, Master 2 student, working on the energy calibration and the measurement of the energy resolution of jets, LPNHE, CNRS, France
- 2011 and 2012 : main supervisor for two CERN summer student projects : « Binning optimization for unfolded data spectra and applications for the inclusive jet cross section »
- 2007-2010 : teaching assistant for second year students at University Paris 11
INVITED SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATORS
- October 2015 : invited scientist P. Loch to LPNHE, for 1 month, work on new methods of jet calibration, supported by a Lagrange funding.
- October 2015 : invited student G. Marceca to LPNHE, for 3 weeks, work on the jet calibration and cross section measurements, supported by a Sorbonne Paris Cité funding.
SCIENTIFIC STAYS IN FOREIGN LABORATORIES
- January 2016 : stay at the University of Buenos Aires, for 2.5 weeks, work on the jet calibration and the jet cross section measurements with R. Piegaia and his students J. Bossio and G. Marceca, supported by an EPLANET funding.
MAIN ARTICLES (with important personal contributions)
- « Measurement of the inclusive jet cross-section in proton-proton collisions at √s=7 TeV using 4.5 fb-1 of data with the ATLAS detector », the ATLAS Collaboration, JHEP 1502 (2015) 153, arXiv:1410.8857.
- « Jet energy measurement and its systematic uncertainty in proton-proton collisions at √s=7TeV with the ATLAS detector », the ATLAS collaboration, Eur. Phys. J. C (2015) 75:17, arXiv:1406.0076.
- « Measurement of dijet cross sections in pp collisions at 7 TeV centre-of-mass energy using the ATLAS detector », the ATLAS collaboration, JHEP 1405 (2014) 059, arXiv:1312.3524.
- « Update of the ALEPH non-strange spectral functions from hadronic tau decays », M. Davier et al., Eur.Phys.J. C74 (2014) 2803, arXiv:1312.1501.
- « Comments on « An Update of the HLS Estimate of the Muon g-2 » by M.Benayoun et al., arXiv:1210.7184v3 », M. Davier and B. Malaescu, Eur. Phys. J. C (2013) 73 : 2597, arXiv:1306.6374.
- « Precision Measurement of the e+ e- —> K+ K- (gamma) Cross Section with the Initial-State Radiation Method at BaBar », the BABAR collaboration, Phys. Rev. D 88 (2013) 032013, arXiv:1306.3600.
- « Measurement of the inclusive jet cross section in pp collisions at sqrt(s)=2.76 TeV and comparison to the inclusive jet cross section at sqrt(s)=7 TeV using the ATLAS detector », the ATLAS collaboration, Eur. Phys. J C 73 (2013) 2509, arXiv:1304.4739.
- « Precise Measurement of the e+ e- —> pi+ pi- (gamma) Cross Section with the Initial-State Radiation Method at BABAR », the BABAR collaboration, Phys. Rev. D 86 (2012) 032013, arXiv:1205.2228.
- « Evaluation of the Strong Coupling Constant alpha_s Using the ATLAS Inclusive Jet Cross-Section Data », B. Malaescu and P. Starovoitov, Eur.Phys.J. C72 (2012) 2041, arXiv:1203.5416.
- « Jet energy measurement with the ATLAS detector in proton-proton collisions at sqrt(s) = 7 TeV », the ATLAS collaboration, Eur. Phys. J. C 73 (2013) 2304, arXiv:1112.6426.
- « Measurement of inclusive jet and dijet production in pp collisions at sqrt(s) = 7 TeV using the ATLAS detector », the ATLAS collaboration, Phys. Rev. D 86 (2012) 014022, arXiv:1112.6297.
- « Reevaluation of the Hadronic Contributions to the Muon g-2 and to alpha(MZ) », M. Davier et al., Eur.Phys.J.C71:1515,2011, arXiv:1010.4180.
- « A note on renormalon models for the determination of alpha_s(M_tau) », S. Descotes-Genon and B. Malaescu, arXiv:1002.2968.
- « Reevaluation of the hadronic contribution to the muon magnetic anomaly using new e+ e- ---> pi+ pi- cross section data from BABAR », M.Davier et al., Eur.Phys.J.C66:1-9,2010, arXiv:0908.4300.
- « Precise measurement of the e+ e- ---> pi+ pi- (gamma) cross section with the Initial State Radiation method at BABAR », the BABAR collaboration, Phys.Rev.Lett.103:231801,2009, arXiv:0908.3589.
- « An Iterative, dynamically stabilized method of data unfolding », B. Malaescu, arXiv:0907.3791.
- « The Discrepancy Between tau and e+e- Spectral Functions Revisited and the Consequences for the Muon Magnetic Anomaly », M. Davier et al., Eur.Phys.J.C66:127-136,2010, arXiv:0906.5443.
- « The Determination of alpha_s from Tau Decays Revisited », M. Davier et al., Eur.Phys.J.C56:305-322,2008, arXiv:0803.0979.
My full list of publications can be found here.
- 2014-2015 : “Hadron Contribution to Vacuum Polarization” chapter (M. Davier et al.) part of the book “The Standard Theory of Particle Physics”, edited by Luciano Maiani and Gigi Rolandi, in the series “Essays in the 60th Anniversary of CERN”, World Scientific Publishing
CONTRIBUTIONS TO INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES AND INVITED SEMINARS
- October 2015 : « alpha_s determinations from ATLAS (status & plans) » - invited plenary talk, on behalf of the ATLAS collaboration, at the “FCC-ee-alpha_s” workshop, CERN, ATL-PHYS-PROC-2015-158, arXiv :1512.05194.
- July 2014 : « Measurements of jet production properties in pp collisions with the ATLAS detector » - talk on behalf of the ATLAS collaboration, in the Strong Interactions and Hadron Physics session at the ICHEP conference (Valencia, Spain)
- March 2014 : « Measurements of low energy e+e- hadronic cross sections and implications for the muon g-2 » - plenary talk on behalf of the BABAR collaboration in the QCD session, at the conference « Rencontres de Moriond » (la Thuile, Italy) : arXiv:1407.4685.
- Mai 2013 : « Measurement of hadronic cross sections at BaBar with ISR and implications for the muon (g-2) » - plenary talk on behalf of the BABAR collaboration at the conference PHOTON 2013 (Paris), arXiv:1404.6887, PoS(Photon 2013)044.
- April 2013 : convener of the « QCD and Hadronic Final State » session at the conference DIS2013, Marseille ; plenary talk summarizing the experimental talks of the session, PoS DIS2013 (2013) 020.
- March 2013 : « Hadronic tau and e+e- spectra, contribution to (g-2)_mu and QCD studies » - plenary talk and convener of one session at the Workshop on Determination of the Fundamental Parameters of QCD (Singapore), Mod. Phys. Lett. A 28 (2013) 1360011.
- July 2012 : « Evaluation of alpha_s using the ATLAS inclusive jet cross-section data » - plenary talk at the conference QCD Montpellier, Nucl. Phys. Proc. Suppl. 234 (2013) 213, arXiv:1210.1383.
- Mai 2012 : « Hadronic contribution to (g-2)_mu from e+e- annihilations and tau decays » - plenary talk at the workshop « Meson Transition Form Factors » (Cracow, Poland) : arXiv:1207.6556.
- March 2012 : « Inclusive jet production measured with ATLAS and constraints on PDFs » - talk on behalf of the ATLAS collaboration, in parallel session at the conference DIS 2012 (Bonn, Germany), arXiv:1207.4583
- January 2011 : « Iterative dynamically stabilized method of data unfolding » - plenary talk at the conference « PHYSTAT 2011 » (CERN) : arXiv:1106.3107.
- September 2010 : « Measurement of the e+e- — > hadrons cross-section at low energy with ISR events at BABAR » - plenary talk at the workshop TAU2010 (Manchester, UK), on behalf of the BABAR collaboration : arXiv:1012.3689.
- March 2010 : « Current status of g-2 » - plenary talk in the EW session, at the conference « Rencontres de Moriond » (la Thuile, Italy) , arXiv:1006.4739.
- January 2010 : « ISR cross sections in e+e- and implications on muon g-2 » - plenary talk on behalf of the BABAR collaboration at the workshop HEP2010 (Valparaiso, Chile)
- July 2008 : « Precise alpha(s) from Tau Decays » - plenary talk at the conference « QCD Montpellier », Nucl.Phys.Proc.Suppl.186:183-186,2009, arXiv:0809.2823.
- March 2008 : « Improved alpha(s) from Tau Decays » - plenary talk in the QCD session, at the conference « Rencontres de Moriond » (la Thuile, Italy), arXiv:0805.2825.
- September 2009 : « An iterative method for the unfolding of experimental data, dynamically stabilized » - LLR seminar (Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France)
- July 2009 : « An iterative method for the unfolding of experimental data, dynamically stabilized » - LAL seminar (Orsay, France)
ORGANISATION OF SCIENTIFIC MEETINGS
- October 2014 – today : Organized monthly ATLAS meetings as part of the convenership of the « Statistics Forum »
- April 2014 – March 2015 : Organized weekly ATLAS meetings as part of the convenership of the sub-group « Jets & photons »
- 2014 : Representative of the ATLAS LPNHE group for organizing the Physics ATLAS France workshop in November 2014, and chair of the SM/Top session
- October 2012 – September 2013 : Organized weekly ATLAS meetings as part of the convenership of the sub-group « Jet energy scale and jet energy resolution »
- 2014-2015 : As co-convener of the sub-group « Jets & photons », contributed to the organization of the ATLAS Standard Model workshop, Annecy, France
- 2013 : As co-convener of the sub-group « Jet energy scale and jet energy resolution », contributed to the organization of the ATLAS « Hadronic calibration workshop », Chicago, USA
- 2011 – 2014 : Co-organizer and contributor to three ATLAS workshops on unfolding, CERN
COMMISSIONS OF TRUST
- 2012 – today : Referee for the European Physics Journal C
- 2014 – today : Referee for the JINST journal
- 2016 – today : Referee for the NIM A journal
- 2010 – today : Member of several editorial boards for ATLAS publications
- September 2014 : Member of the examining committee for the PhD thesis of Guillaume LEFEBVRE (LPNHE), France
- September 2013 : Member of the examining committee for the PhD thesis of Nicolas MERIC (CEA, LPTHE, LPNHE), France
PRIZES AND DISTINCTIONS
- 2015 : Obtained the « PhD supervision and research bonus » from CNRS, for a duration of 4 years, for “exceptional contributions to research”
- 2014 : Title of “Distinguished Referee” for the European Physics Journal
- 2001 : Bronze Medal at the International Physics Olympiad – Antalya, Turkey
- 1996-2001 : Numerous prizes and distinctions at national (Romanian) and international physics competitions